Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bargaining in Bali

Bali air, thick like a warm stout, hangs over the art market
where eager vendors call out, "Hallo darling"
to passersby. Two of them creep out of their shop of tricks,
sunglasses, dresses, knock off purses and wallets.
The first, with a crystal whit smile, tanned skin
and as thin as the sandals he sells, comments
on my "beautiful white skin."
He laughs when I tell him I came here to be
a darker colour.

Stealing a sideways glance at the other vendor,
I run my fingers through the hanging sarongs.
The first puffs at a freshly lit Marlboro.
"Sexy body, like Coca Cola" -
grease on the wheels of an impending deal -
white skin, Coca Cola... money sign.
"A beautiful sarong for you madam
only 50,000."
Breathe out and bargain for a better price
as the heat wrings the water from my skin.

No comments: